Entries for the 2018 Awards are now closed.
Acceptance of Entry
Entry to the Book of the Year comprises three components:
- the entry form,
- payment of entry fee and
- required number of copies of the books (5).
Books will not be eligible for entry without a completed entry form and payment of entry fee.
Eligibility of the book and creator/s will be confirmed by the Awards Committee.
Entries deemed ineligible for the Awards will not be returned nor the entry fee refunded.
Entries to the Awards are open between 1 March and 30 November for books published from 1 January to 31 December.
All entries will be acknowledged and receipted.
While all reasonable care will be taken, no responsibility will be accepted for loss or damage of submitted entries.
Copies of books entered
The books will be distributed to the appropriate category judges and the Awards Committee. Submitted copies of books whether deemed eligible or not shall become the property of the CBCA and shall not be returned to the entrant. Please post books to:
The Children's Book Council of Australia
Level 2, State Library of Queensland
Stanley Place, South Brisbane QLD 4101
The 2019 Entry Form will be available when submissions open.
Only publications that meet both the criteria for books and the criteria for creators will be accepted.
Payment of the entry fee must be received to be eligible.
Decisions by the Awards Committee regarding eligibility are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Eligibility Criteria for Books
- Books must be published in Australia between 1 January and 31 December of the year of entry.
- Books must be available for purchase by the general public in Australia.
- Books must be written in the English language or bilingual texts where one language must be English.
- Books entered must meet at least one of the following five criteria to be eligible:
- Not previously published;
- New picture book version of previously published text;
- Retelling of traditional materials;
- Anthology or collection, of which the greater part of the work has not previously been published in a single volume;
- Substantially revised edition. (Publishers to provide evidence of the extent of revisions.)
- These awards are only for books in the printed format, as distinct from digital and audio visual formats.
- Only entries for readers up to eighteen years will be eligible.
- Any entries with accompanying non-book materials will be judged solely on the merits of the book component.
- Text books will not be eligible for entry.
- Books written as part of a series or published in serial form will be judged as separate entities which must be able to 'stand alone' as a complete work in their own right. Each must have an independent structure and not be reliant on other parts of the series.
- Books entered as a boxed set with an ISBN for the set will be judged as a whole and attract one entry fee.
- Books in manuscript form are not eligible for these awards.
Eligibility Criteria for Creators
The term ‘creator’ includes authors, retellers, editors of anthologies, and illustrators whose illustrations in any medium form a substantial part of the book. If there is more than one major creator, publishers must provide information on the eligibility of each one.
A creator must be:
- An Australian citizen no matter where resident or
- A person resident in Australia for at least two years prior to 31 December in the year of publication or
- A person who holds permanent residency status for Australia.
If a creator is not an Australian citizen, eligibility will cease at the time she/he ceases to be resident in Australia.
If a joint creator, in the judges’ opinion, has not made a significant contribution to the book, they will not be eligible for an award.
Deceased creators are not eligible except in the case where a creator dies in the year of publication.
If there is more than one creator, only creators who meet the criteria will be eligible to receive an Award. This does not preclude the eligible creator/s receiving the Award.
Award Judging Criteria
Entered books are assessed primarily for:
- outstanding literary merit, including cohesiveness in significant literary elements;
- language chosen for its appropriateness to the theme and style of the work with proper regard to the aesthetic qualities of language; and
- originality in the treatment of literary elements as they apply to the form of the work.
Consideration is given to the quality of illustrations, book design, editing, production, printing and binding.
An entered book will be judged only in the nominated category against the particular category criteria.
Clarification of Categories (download PDF)
Further Judging Criteria Details (download PDF)
For download of Criteria and Eligibility from the Book of the Year Awards Policy in printable form click here.