CBCA Book Week Resources
Fabulous Free Digital Resources!
Downloadable Colouring Poster
Using Gwyn Perkins' quirky and colourful 2020 CBCA Book Week theme artwork, we've created a free colouring poster to download, print and colour. You'll notice that there are a few of Gwyn's 'Curious Creatures' missing from the poster. This is to allow children to add their own.
Gwyn Perkins has created this fun interactive bookmark activity. Simply print the following sheets (we recommend printing on a slightly heavier stock than regular printer paper) and follow the instructions to create four quirky bookmarks.
Draw Your Own Curious Creature
Gwyn Perkins shares his tips for drawing wild and curious creatures.
Each year, schools and public libraries across Australia spend one glorious week celebrating books and Australian authors and illustrators. Classroom teachers, teacher librarians and public librarians create displays, develop activities, offer competitions and tell stories relating to a theme to highlight the importance of reading.
In recent years some of the best activities relating to CBCA Book Week can be found on these sites:
- Book Curator magazine and membership service publishes a comprehensive guide to the CBCA Book of the Year Awards Notables list. Order your copy from their website.
- Perform! Education produces award-winning educational musicals for schools. Visit their website for information about their 2020 CBCA Book Week production titled The Greatest Discovery and to book a virtual or live incursion.
- PETAA produces teaching resources for the CBCA Shortlisted books. Become a member to access teaching guides for CBCA Shortlisted books from current and previous years.
- Spotlight has colourful and creative ideas (plus all the art and craft materials) for your CBCA Book Week character costume as well as some wonderful DIY projects inspired by the CBCA Shortlisted books.
- Zart publishes a CBCA Book Week handbook which can be purchased via their online store. They also run onsite and online Book Week workshops celebrating the important relationship between illustrations and text with activities for the CBCA Shortlisted Early Childhood and Picture Books. Zart's workshops can been booked via their website.